3.25.2005

Art: Images from BYU's "Thoroughly Modern" exhibit

I don't know how I missed this when I was writing my previous post on BYU's "Thoroughly Modern: The 'New Women' Art Students of Robert Henri," but the Museum of Art has posted an online gallery of selected works from the exhibit.

I wish that they had included links to slightly large versions, but here are my favorites:

1. "Women of Oaxaca" by Henrietta Shore (fourth on the page and pictured above)
2. "Chain Gang" by Margaret Law (eighth)
3. "Go Down Moses" by Hilda Belcher (tenth)
4. "Self-Portrait with Chinese Screen" by Florine Stettheimer (eleventh)

As you can tell, I tend to be drawn to paintings that use dark tones/colors and are representational but not realistic. I'm not sure what that means in art history/criticism terms, but from past experience I can say that I really like paintings that aren't classicly impressionist -- that have more earthy subjects (rather than, say, the somewhat ethereal flowers of Monet), but use a bit of the impressionist brushstroke and light.

"Thoroughly Modern" is on view through Aug. 27, 2005, at the BYU Museum of Art. Admission is free.

NOTE: Perceptive AMV readers may have noticed that I snuck "art" into my tag line above a couple of weeks ago. My original plan was to not include visual art as it's not an area of expertise of mine, but I've found it to be a compelling area in the world of Mormon arts and culture so I've reconsidered the scope of the blog.